Ecology Recycling Services,LLC
Reports to: Site Manager
Torch Cutter is responsible for cutting scrap metal objects to the appropriate dimensions, specified by blueprints, layout, or oral instructions. Operate power/hydraulic tools and cutting torch. Perform general maintenance and upkeep of equipment’s and yard property to ensure a clean and safe work area.
- Read blueprints and drawings and take or read measurements to plan layout and procedures.
- Hand sort scrap metal material weighing 5 – 50 lbs.
- Cut material up to 8 inches thick using a cutting torch.
- Connects hoses from torch to oxygen tank fuel gas tank, like acetylene or propane.
- Selects torch tip, gas pressures, speed of cut, and allows for width of cut, according to thickness type of metal as computed from charts.
- Installs torch tip and turns handle to adjust pressure of fuel gas.
- Light’s torch and adjusts flow of oxygen to obtain desired mixture, as indicated by color size of flame.
- Squeeze’s lever or trigger to release additional jet of oxygen which burns path through metal.
- Guides flame along cutting line, observing cutting to judge angle, distance of torch, and speed of movement.
- Removes inspects finished workpiece.
- Chips or grinds burrs from edges, using power chisel or portable grinder.
- May lay out cutting lines, using rule, square, compass, or by tracing from template.
Education / Experience:
High school diploma and at least 2 years of training under an experience torch cutter.
Language Skills: Will be required to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos, to write correspondence, memos, and schedule; to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to guests, clients, and fellow staff.
Mathematical Skills: Basic math skills required.
Problem solving, reasoning, and “thinking out of the box” will be a constant requirement; in addition, applying common sense understanding to better serve our guests’ needs.
- Physically able to conduct inspections and carry equipment used for inspections.
- Prolonged periods of sitting.
- Occasional periods of walking and standing.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 – 40 pounds at a time.
- Consistently climbs, balances, stoops, kneels, crawls or crouches.
- Consistently turning and moving of hands, arms, feet, and legs.
Regularly uses close, distance, color and peripheral vision as well as depth perception. Ability to adjust focus.
Work is performed indoors or outside in all types of weather, in open/enclosed drivers’ seats or cabs, on land. Is exposed to noise, vibration, dust, oil, dirt, and fumes.
Certificates/Licenses (Preferred Qualifications):
Crane Certification and valid Driver’s License are required.
Job Knowledge, Skill and Ability Preferences
- Strong attention to detail
- Must be able to successfully complete assignments or tasks with little supervision.
- Must be able to work in a team environment and collaborate with coworkers to accomplish all work goals and assigned tasks.
- Must be able to work a fast paced environment.
- Must be able to work various shifts that included weekends and holidays.
- Basic computer operation.
To apply for this job email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org